The facilitative environment and older higher education workers

JoJo

The facilitative environment and older higher education workers

Post by JoJo »

I am Dr Michaela Edwards, a Senior Lecturer in Human Resource Management and Organizational Behaviour. We are conducting this research in order to investigate your views on the current climate in higher education and how it may impact on your physical or mental wellbeing.

What is the study about?

This study concerns the current climate in higher education and how it may impact on your physical or mental wellbeing.

Why have I been approached?

You have been approached as you are a university lecturer over the age of 50 who has expressed an interest in discussing the impact of the current climate in higher education on older HE workers.

Do I have to take part?
No. It’s completely up to you to decide whether or not you take part in the study and if you decide to take part you are free to withdraw up to two weeks (14 days) after you have completed the workshop.

What will I be asked to do if I take part?
If you decide you would like to take part, you would be asked to take part in an interview lasting approximately one hour. The interview would be recorded. If this would also not be acceptable to you then then I would take notes instead. Unfortunately if you would not be happy for me to take notes either then you would not be able to take part as it would be very difficult for me to collect the data we need.

Will my data be Identifiable?

Confidentiality: Direct quotes may be used in a variety of academic publications, and hence whilst we will attempt to prevent your identity from being made known through thorough anonymization, confidentiality is limited.

Anonymization: Every attempt will be made to ensure anonymity. All identifying information, age, gender, will be removed. This should protect anonymization to a large though incomplete extent.

The anonymised data collected for this study will be stored securely according to University policy and will be available to other researchers on request.

o Audio recordings will be kept for up to ten years following publication. At the end of this period, they will be securely destroyed and shredded.
o Hard copies of anonymised interview data will be kept in a locked cabinet for up to ten years.
o The files on the researchers laptops will be encrypted (that is no-one other than the researchers will be able to access them) and the computer itself password protected. Data will be kept securely for up to ten years following publication.
o The typed version of your interview will be made as anonymous as possible by removing any identifying information including your name. Anonymised direct quotations from your interview may be used in the reports or publications from the study. The researchers will use a pseudonym and if you wish you are free to select your own pseudonym.
o None of your personal data will be stored and data will be anonymised as it is written up.
o If what is said in the interview makes us think that you, or someone else, is at significant risk of harm we may need to speak to a senior member of the university for advice.

What will happen to the results?

The results may be summarised and reported in articles, and you may be directly quoted (anonymously) in articles submitted for publication in academic or professional journal or books/books chapters. Results may also be presented at academic or professional conferences.

Are there any risks?
There are no anticipated risks with participating in this study. However, if you experience any distress following participation you are encouraged to inform one of the researchers and you are encouraged to make use of the resources provided at the end of this sheet.

Are there any benefits to taking part?
Although you may find participating interesting, there are no direct benefits in taking part.

Who has reviewed the project?
This study was reviewed by the Faculty of Health and Medicine Research Ethics Committee, and approved by the University Research Ethics Committee at Lancaster University when the primary researcher was employed there. These documents were subsequently accepted by Nottingham Business School.

Where can I obtain further information about the study if I need it?
If you have any questions about the study, please contact the primary researcher:
Dr Michaela Edwards, Senior Lecturer in Human resource Management and Organisational Behaviour at Nottingham Business School. Email michaela.edwards@ntu.ac.uk.

Complaints
If you wish to make a complaint or raise concerns about any aspect of this study and do not want to speak to the researcher, you can contact:

Professor Alistair Bruce
Associate Dean for Research Nottingham Business School
Nottingham Trent University
50 Shakespeare Street
Nottingham
NG1 4FQ
Phone: +44 (0)115 848 6867
Email: alistair.bruce@ntu.ac.uk

Thank you for taking the time to read this information sheet.

Resources in the event of distress
There are no anticipated risks for taking part in this study. Should you feel distressed either as a result of taking part, or in the future, the following may be of assistance.

North Lancashire Counselling Service: Appointments to see a counsellor are made by phone on the answer phone: 01524 389389.

Lancashire Mind – Wellbeing Coaches http://www.lancashiremind.org.uk/enquir ... -coaching/

Central Notts Mind http://centralnottsmind.com/

Nottingham Counselling Service https://www.nottinghamcounsellingcentre ... our-vision